Saturday, April 4, 2009

On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese...


I don't think I stopped grinning for 2 hours, except for one tiny little incident.  After my trial run down the mountain when I understood why Helper Guy had reminded me more than a few times to use my brakes, I couldn't get enough. I flew down the mountain so fast that on the last few meters of the run I actually lifted off the ground. Yes, meters. We use the metric system here, do the math. I didn't lose the grin when Sara freaked out and decided she ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to ride up the lift, or when Sam joined me in my sled and the ride up was even bumpier with all the extra weight. Sara eventually agreed to try, and we didn't realize that she didn't know how to steer with one hand and brake with the other until she lost control of the toboggan and ended up flipped over in a snow bank.  Seems she couldn't hear me screaming Brake! Use the brake! with the wind whipping past her head at 60 kilometers per hour, and she veered off the path into a bank of snow on the side of the run and started to cry. She didn't know it, but just another few meters further and she would have gone right off the side of the mountain where the run circled around in a wide arc to the final descent. Oh, shit. My heart stopped for about an hour and didn't restart again until Jon and Sam came back down, knowing something was wrong when we never got to the bottom. Sara was scared but not hurt at all, and we left her sled there and Jon drove her down slowly and carefully to the bottom so she could watch us. When it was time to leave or pay for some more time, Sara bravely decided that she would try again with Jon driving to find out if she wanted to renew. Yay! My grin was even wider this time, as my amazing daughter and her Daddy spent an hour tobogganing together, starting slowly but then actually beating Sam and me to the finish line on our last run.  I loved it, really loved it, she said. Nope, this day sure didn't suck.

To see more about our tobogganing trip, check out Jon's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment