Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Gratulerer med dagen!

Ok, I will admit it, I am a foreign language nerd.  I get super excited when I'm able to learn new languages, and each time I master something in Norwegian I get a big kick out of it.  Gratulerer med dagen.  I've been hanging on to this little gem for a while now, waiting until I can use it. Luckily I am about to have my chance, as this Friday will be Jon's birthday.  Yeah, you guessed it. I saw the phrase on a greeting card next to a big cake with candles on it, and used some of that deductive reasoning that I usually save for emergencies.  So now that I know what to say, I am trying to figure out what to do.  At home we'd go out for a nice dinner and Jon would order a steak, a rare treat in our partially vegetarian household.  Here, though, groceries are very expensive, and fancy restaurant meals are pretty much out of our reach, so I will be cooking at home.  Pick out anything you want and I will cook it, I told Jon yesterday, going back to a birthday tradition I used to have with my father when I was a kid.  Really, you can pick anything...when I was 12 I asked for crepes suzette.  But Jon, ever the pragmatist, doesn't want to spend the money on a steak, even one that I can cook for him at home. Hmmm, maybe I don't cook a very good steak anymore, now that I don't eat beef.  Nah, that can't be it.  More likely, Jon just doesn't care enough about the food to spend a  lot of money when we could have something just as good (or better?) for much less.  Yeah, this is much more Jon-ish.  Since a birthday dinner isn't going to do the trick, I guess it's back to the drawing board.  I wonder how they say back to the drawing board in Norwegian...

No comments:

Post a Comment