Monday, March 16, 2009

Coming up next...or, Don't worry when your friend sleeps with the guy you like.

The Gapinge house!
It seems sort of, well, rude to sit in this beautiful house and look out on the mountains while planning for the next segment of our home exchange.  In just 5 short weeks we'll be leaving Ålesund for Gapinge, Netherlands for a 4 week swap with a kind retired couple.  I was lucky to find these folks after our original exchangers from Northumberland, England cancelled on us over the holidays. Apparently this type of behavior is not common, but we'd had a few false starts already and the idea of being homeless for 5 weeks between two home exchanges did not make me feel too festive.  I was really pissed at these people, especially because we had met them in person and thought we'd built a great rapport with them over dinner. We'd even bought a GPS system for our car because the husband was worried about driving in the US and we wanted to make it as easy as possible.  Whatever. I channeled my frustration into a wide search for a suitable exchange and was quite happy to find these Dutch exchangers who were looking for a trip to Florida. It works out much better than an exchange in England, where we weren't too excited to go in the first place because we already speak English (well, most of us). I knew it was meant to be when I realize that Gapinge is only a few kilometers outside of Middelburg, Netherlands where I'd spent a few days back in college.  Sure, it was about a man, but we were already on a trip to Europe and he was a handsome young professor. Don't judge. So I guess the moral of the story is that while my friend got the professor (and made sure I knew it), and although I had to wait 20 years for karmic balance, I was ultimately rewarded with a home exchange that came to my rescue. Karma is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment