Friday, May 15, 2009

Burbs of New York?

This morning we’re driving to the coastal town of Vlissingen which, in English, is called Flushing. There is a Flushing, New York which is 10 miles outside of the city in the borough of Queens, and the name still gives me pause. Help! My toilet won’t stop flushing! There is another local Flemish town called Hoboken, also the namesake of a New Jersey city just across the river from the city of New York. Obviously there is a lot of history of Flemish settlers in the north east United States, but what I think of when I consider Hoboken (actually part of Antwerp, Belgium) and Flushing are the funny names. Hoboken, NJ reminds me of hobos from the early 1900s, and Flushing is, well, you already know that one. Once again, this proves that I have a childish sense of humor and that I really need to go back to the 8th grade.

 

image: librarianwoes.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment