Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The ass of fallafel?

One thing I really wanted to do while we were in Paris was go get a falafel from a place that I’d read about online. Many people have written about L’As du Fallafel, but when my boyfriend David Lebovitz wrote it up as #2 of his 10 Insanely Delicious Things not to be missed in Paris, I was sold.  I used to eat falafel all the time when I lived in New York and Rhode Island, and I was intrigued – could this place in Paris really be the best falafel in the world?  As fate would have it, I was looking on Google street view to find directions to our friends Marielle and Donough’s place, and there was L’As, right across the street from their building. Coincidence? I. Don’t. Think. So. Sunday afternoon couldn’t come quickly enough (L’As is Kosher and observes the Sabbath by closing Friday night and Saturday), and when we arrived there were 2 huge lines down Rue des Rosiers, one for take away and another for eat in.  There was a guy managing the flow of customers by handing out tickets and fielding questions from hungry customers in rapid-fire French. I was quoted 30 minutes for a 5 top, but I knew enough to stay close and keep my eyes locked on Falafel Guy for my chance to secure my spot. You see, in Paris a 30 minute quote time for a table means nothing – it all depends on how much the guy likes you and if you can pass for someone other than an American. Luckily I can hold my own in French, we got our table in 8 minutes. DSCN2247 It was amazing to watch the agile waiters fly around the restaurant, back and forth to the tables and then into the miniscule corner that served as the pass through. Attention! Chaud! These guys are pros – they zoomed around among a packed house with huge pita sandwiches stacked between their nimble fingers, never dropping a single drop of tahini or a ball of precious falafel. falafel Amazing! I could watch a show like that all day, but after only 5 minutes our food arrived and it took all my attention. I had a deconstructed plate instead of a falafel sandwich, so I could really appreciate every flavor. There was a huge pile of bite-sized falafel balls, fresh hummus and tahini sauce, a cucumber salad and purple cabbage slaw, warm pita bread, and of course a generous portion of hot sauce. Yes, it is true, L’As du fallafel has terrific falafel and excellent service, but the name still makes me giggle. It means Ace of Falafel (and in French L’As is pronounced Laaah), but it still looks like The Ass of Falafel. Sorry, it does. After we ate everything in sight, I realized that I would soon be sporting my new look: the ass from falafel.

NB: If you want to laugh your ass off, buy The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz here.

Photos: Image #1 from newyork808’s Flikr, image #2 from Jon, image #3 from tvgourmetnews.com’s Flikr

1 comment:

  1. What is falafel? The sandwich sounded good, did everyone eat one?

    ReplyDelete