Thursday, June 25, 2009

Well-a well-a well-a huh…

I love pools and adore the ocean, but I really don’t love swimming. I like to get in the water to cool off, not to swim all around like some kind of crazy person. Now that we’re having regular summer weather here in Sweden – or at least what passes for summer in Scandinavia – we had to get a small inflatable pool for Sam. It has taken 4 days of sitting outside for the water to warm to acceptable levels, even for Sam, and today was the first day that I even considered getting in. A baby pool is right up my alley – not much commitment is required and it lasts until I get bored with it and move on to something more interesting. Usually that’s the day that it sprouts it’s second leak, the day that I consider it tainted and pronounce it ready for the trash. One leak is manageable, unnoticeable even when it’s in the side wall, but two leaks are just too much to handle. Then the pool starts to stress me out and I can’t enjoy it anymore. Who wants to lean against the side of the pool when it could collapse at that very moment? And nobody wants to sit in a baby pool with non-functional side walls, having to sit up straight like a schoolmarm…come on, that’s just ridiculous. So we’re on day 5 of our new Swedish pool and to date it’s been a smashing success, so much so that the kids spent the rest of the afternoon lying down and trying on my sunglasses. Ah, summer.

DSCN3089

DSCN3091

No comments:

Post a Comment