Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My dear Batavus, how I miss you…

bike.aspx OK, so you know how I love the European design aesthetic and I’m especially enamored with the love of cycling and cycle accessories. I’ve been trying to find a bicycle in the States that somehow comes close to my beloved Batavus Personal bike that I used while in Holland. It’s a true Dutch work bike, and is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden by a huge margin. Plus, with a couple of accessories it can easily become our family station wagon. The cheapest price I’ve found for my Batavus is around $1100, not including a few hundred for delivery, so that’s out. Way out. So I am looking for the full upright seating style of the Batavus, along with the easy step-through, and a heavy duty frame that can hold my favorite passenger and our groceries. In the meantime, I’ve been looking around for something similar and although there are now lots of choices for beach cruise bikes in the US, they are really not the same as Dutch bikes so I’m a bit stymied. My maximum budget – maximum!! – is $500, including accessories, so I’m really looking for something of quality in the $300 range.  So far I like a few of the Trek Cruiser models (click here if you’re curious) or this Raleigh or maybe I can find a used one from the bike shop. But I am definitely not compromising on the accessories. Check it out:

No comments:

Post a Comment